Wednesday, October 1, 2014

It's not easy going grey

The last time I dyed my hair was in March. I remember doing it and feeling like myself again.
Gone was the lady in her mid-30s, replaced by a somewhat younger woman. And while I am in my mid-30s, I don't feel that way. I don't feel 25, but 34 just wasn't quite right.

The Duchess of Cambridge allowed herself to go a little grey
during her last pregnancy. So it should be cool, right?
Next week, I will be 35. I will celebrate with about three inches of roots, grey hairs and all.

I am terrible at getting to the salon for constant colourings, and I'm even worse at trying to do it myself. So I made the decision this past spring that for the rest of my pregnancy and the duration of my mat leave, I'd go grey. At the end, I'll see how I feel about it.

Part of it is laziness, but mostly, I'm curious to see what life with grey hair will look like. Will people assume I'm older? Will I look tired? Unkempt? Will people wonder what kind of wild children I have that would cause my hair to change colour?

The grey is not due to my darling daughter - I've been going grey for years. Before my wedding five years ago, I was fully aware of more than just the odd strand of grey. I'd say now, my hair is 15-20% grey.

I do feel like I went grey early, and because I had acne up until a few years ago, I'm not sure that's fair.

But now I need to see if I can accept the grey. Because if not now, when? Do I wait until I'm 40? 50? 65? When does it become ridiculous to colour my hair?

Next fall, I may hate the grey. But until then, I don't think anyone will notice the pregnant lady then mother of a two-year-old and infant hasn't been to see her hairdresser in months. They'll just assume I look frazzled thanks to life in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment